23 June 2014

Ovingdean - Hello Again

Another day of excavation (June 11th), likely my last for June at the moment as I have been accepted to dig on the Culver Project in early July, which is located just north of Lewes here in East Sussex.

I was placed back in my usual trench "H" and cleared away more of the hard chalk rubble, in the hopes that a post hole would be uncovered. No such luck. Instead I hardly found anything except for two nail fragments, one tooth and a possible piece of coke (a fuel made from coal) or slag.

Got a pretty nice sunburn again.

As of June 23, some interesting questions, posed by John Funnell (Deputy Director), have arose concerning this "light loamy layer, which appears to be circular. Is it a very large pit or well? And if so what date?" Well, we are still stumped. I am reading the BHAS bi-weekly updates very closely. The last time I was away from a site long enough, they found a baby burial right beneath where I had been sitting for two weeks. What have I been sitting on top of now?

Keep y'all posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment