14 August 2014

Wicked Young Writers Award

London Apollo Victoria Theatre.

August the 7th I found myself waiting in anticipation in the London Apollo Victoria Theatre where the musical Wicked is annually hosted. I must say the decor in there was very sorcerer-like - emerald greens, purple tones, and lots of shadows.

Matt's plastic cup of wine cost £8 (his breakfast) while we observed nearly 100 finalists ages 5-25 and their 3 chosen family members milling about in the lobby waiting to be seated. My family representative besides my lovely other was Sara my respective landlady and housemate. As a former actress, Sara advised me (in case I lost) to still appear gracious and to smile.

Truth be told, it all felt surreal to me and I felt like I had already won by getting an invitation to attend the ceremony.

I'm hiding at the back by the fellow in green (photo credit: Wicked Young Writers Award).
 The cast of Wicked performed a couple pieces, reinforcing my desire to see Wicked itself one day.

The judges Michael Morpurgo did his thing as well as poet, Dean Atta, who interacted with the finalists in a series of fun activities. There were quite a few interesting poems written in the span of three minutes.

The finalists were announced and their stories or poems read by the Wicked cast. The range of literature was quite enthralling, especially when read by professional actors and actresses. Then we all went on stage for our photos. It was wonderful to see so many excited children and teenagers. The winner in my category (age 18-25) was incidentally sitting next to me. We had chatted a bit before the ceremony started. Loved his short story I'll be your Tom if you'll be my Marilyn.
Photo of the winners of each age category with author Michael Morpurgo.

Matt did try to take some photographs but as he hates posed photography I found quite a lot of blurry shots and shots of the ceiling. Here are a couple that did survive his photography deviance.



Notice Michael Morpurgo supervising us on the right.

Click here to read my published short story Wasps in the Wicked Young Writers Award 18-25 Anthology

No comments:

Post a Comment