4 July 2014

"How I Keep Going"

Recently I accepted the challenge to submit a 200 word description of "How I Keep Going" (as a writer) to this female run magazine Mslexia (I challenged myself). What I don't have is another 200 words to continue my explanation of how lonely being a writer actually is and how I didn't realize this fact until after I had moved across the gigantic ass Atlantic Ocean over to a new continent (if you consider this island part of something much bigger, that is) where I had no friends, no job prospects but just this gut feeling that I should be here pretending to be some feminine version of Indiana Jones. A year later, I haven't stopped questioning my impulsiveness to pack all my worldly possessions into a backpack and suitcase, give away all the furniture and plants in my Marpole apartment with the sunny balcony and wooden floors (a Vancouver steal for $700 a month), hug my friends (and a boyfriend) goodbye, as I jumped on an airbus to London. But at least I stayed true to my gut feeling. Little has really changed in terms of post-graduation stagnation but  I haven't given up. If this 200 word blurb doesn't get published, maybe I will post it on here. Sometimes I daydream about giving up and learning carpentry so I can build a bear-proof tree-house in my parents British Columbian backyard and do what every other 24 year old writer does - grow weed or  have hipster tea parties until my parents (sick and tired of paying off my staggering student loans and dealing with all the noise I'm creating at age 30) burn down this tree-house and make me take back my old job at Subway to pay for their mortgage. Or I could continue to be a mysterious Sussex recluse?
How do you keep going? Eh? That is the question of the day. Feel free to comment below.

1 comment: